Saturday, July 5, 2008

Dad on the train

What a wonderful way to spend Father's Day. Yes, a train ride with your father. We have lived next to Railtown 1897 for the past 10 1/2 years and until this past Sunday, had never riden the train. Well, 1/2 price day came and away we went. What fun. A lovely gentlemen playing a violin (or fiddle) singing little ditties from yesteryear. Absolutely charming.

Except for the fact that the first half of the ride we went backwards, we were trilled to return to the Jamestown Station heading the proper way.

As I think about how little time I have these days to read a book, or a newspaper for that matter, if only trains remained an integral part of our lives. Even buses, for that matter. That little bit of precious time could be spent so much better than negotiating subaru's and Prius's and trying to get the volume right on our bluetooth appliances.

Those were the days. I wish they were back. I wish I had time to get there and kill a couple birds with one stone. I also wish that I could tale many mpre train rides with my father. Happy Father's Day, Dad! Thanks for helping me remember how simple life was and possible could be.

No comments: