Monday, July 20, 2009

Railtown 1897

My introduction letter to becoming a volunteer at Railtown 1897 State Park. After going through the initial training, I felt I couldn't adequately perform the duties a proper docent of the park would. I gave it a try though.

Growing up in Tuolumne County Led to many possibilities:

At the age of 15, I was performing in a melodrama at Columbia State Park as “The Drunkard”. I also worked at the A. Daguerrian Studio on Fulton and set type at the Columbia Gazette after school. This gave me the early feeling for the activities of a “Docent”.

Upon leaving Tuolumne County, I pursued a career in acting in Hollywood. After much hope and only two pilots, I did successfully star in a production of Pippin and obtain an agent.

During the mid-Eighties, I returned to Tuolumne County, where I worked with my father on his various real estate projects. One thing led to another and I obtained my Real Estate Salesperson’s license in 1987 and my Real Estate Broker’s License in 1990. I also headed an aggressive Education Committee Program bringing the GRI designation to this county. I earned my Top Producer’s Club Award in 1989 and 1990 with 1990 bringing the honor of “Realtor of the Year”.

Monumental changes occurred in 1991 when I moved to San Francisco, a city I had always longed to live in. I occasionally conducted tours of some of the local neighborhoods in the city. This was always a blast because the crowd’s enthusiasm was enormous. My full time work in San Francisco was that of
Sr. Real Estate Project Coordinator for Gap, Inc. Our group handled Old Navy stores, Gap store relocations, lease renewals, remodels and expansions in addition to the new Banana Republic Concept store.

As I was extremely active in my physicality as well as having some congenital spinal issues, I had injured some nerves in my neck region over the years.

After a seriously failed neck surgery, two carpel syndrome surgeries and another neck surgery, I went on permanent disability in June of 2001. I am limited in some capacity that I would be happy to discuss in further detail.

I spent 9 months soaking in the culture of the city of Paris, France and then returned to Jamestown where I currently reside, taking care of my father only a block from Railtown 1897. In fact, we are sure that areas of our home were milk barns, buggy houses, or something or other to do with the old Neville’s Hotel.

I am always “overjoyed” to hear that first train whistle on Saturday mornings. In fact, the experience I would gather as a Park Docent would certainly allow me to enjoy it more fully being that I would certainly be awake by then.

I would appreciate your consideration in this position. Not only would I have a good time, but also I believe the addition of my personality would add a safe and exciting experience for the park guests.

No comments: