Friday, August 28, 2009

Pain

Pain, different meanings to different people. Some of us can tolerate a lot of it some of us can tolerate little. There is no set determination of what level each of us feel.

I know, with my prescribed intake of pain medication, I run about a 4.5. (1-10 being what medical professionals deems to be a scale in which they can equally comprehend with the patient.) My father, who wouldn’t dream of taking an aspirin for a headache runs at about a 1. But my dear mother, who is living with lung cancer, must be at about a 9. Taking 40mg Oxycontin, as well as Percocet’s and coming off of a Fentanyl patch, the pain of cancer infiltrating her body must be unbearable. Mentally and physically.

After having numerous back surgeries, I know how it is when you just can’t get comfortable. When any position feels wrong. When the touch of a gentle hand resounds through you’re body like nothing you’ve ever felt.

For me, the worst physical pain I ever experienced was my Kidney Stones. Every little bump in the car on the way to the hospital resounded like screeching fingers along a chalkboard and knives being hurled into my kidney region. This, of course, was a pain I hadn’t been prepared for. Later on, luckily, with my neck and back pain, I was desensitized prior to the imitation of such anguish.

While I think I’ve have more than my fair share of pain in my life, I can’t help but feel so helpless when my mother must endure this agony.

God Bless Demaral!

No comments: