Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Friends. Bette Midler, 1978

I am all alone; there is no one here beside me
And my problems have all gone, there is no one to deride me
But you got to have friends, the feelings oh so strong
You’ve got to have friends, to make that day last long

I had some friends but there gone, someone came and took them away
From the dusk until the very dawn,
Here is where I will stay standing at the end of the road, waiting for my new friends to come
I don’t care if I’m hungry or freezing cold, I got to get me some of them

You got to have friends.
La la la la la la!
Something about friends




When I was 17, Bette Midler had her first successes. Back then her theme song was "Friends". It's a song I think I memorized probably 30 years ago - a song I wish I had lived by my entire life, although where it says someone came and took them away, I would liken it to the AIDS crisis, losing so many...Pat, Jeff, Dean, Laura, Nancy, John, Danny, Deveraux, Tim, all the guys in the group I led, so many.

It has become quite exhausting finding new friends over and over again. A quote I've made my own is, "There is no one left who can vouch for the fact that I was young and cute at one time." It's quite sad, actually, but very true. Yet, I must confess, there are a few: Heather, Don, Steve...Mark in later years.

As Mark, (in the photo above on the right) came to visit yesterday, I feel lucky today to note that I do have a few cherished friends. There are people to deride me, to bring me back to earth. People who have been around to know my history.

Often, it's so easy to forget about the people that are here and think only about the ones' that are not.

What have I learned by this? Treasure each and evey person in your life each and every day for they may not be here tomorrow and don't give up. When you friend capacity is few, get off your butt and go get some.

Thank you Mark, for helping me remember that.
:

No comments: